Old September 19th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

Neil Gould wrote:

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really
reduce the need for S&R? It may reduce the search time somewhat, but
it won't do much to eliminate the rescue operations. Also, unless
everything and everyone stays in one pile, the search operation won't
be eliminated, either. I think the CAP's mission is safe for some
time yet, and may not be negatively impacted by the newer technology.

Neil

I don't know if it is just the Arkansas Wing of CAP or systemic, but twice
in the last 10 years we have had aircraft go down in South Central Arkansas
and after CAP has looked for them for a day or two with their perfect grids
flying at 1000 agl and spoters with no luck one of the pipeline patrol guys
flying alone at about 500 agl would go start looking and find them within 3
to 4 hours.