Old July 8th 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Sectional charts and See You

On Monday, July 8, 2013 7:10:12 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
Per usual Sean F is obviously right about everything that he asserts and I would be a fool to try to debate any of the points that he makes.

I would only add that the disadvantage he cites of SeeYou and CE being stable and unchanged is simultaneously SeeYou's unique advantage.

Every time a program or operating system is changed, new defects are introduced, and all previous testing of the system, and the confidence engendered by that testing, should be discounted. People that use programs may not understand this, but the people that make programs certainly do.

The fact that SeeYou has been used for years, by many pilots, in many scenarios counts for something. It further suggests that SeeYou is usable and useful.

I agree with Sean that touchscreens are nice, but my arms are not long enough, nor steady enough to use them in a sailplane. I suppose I could hook up a trackball to an Ipad Mini?

And yet, SeeYou requires the use of a touch screen in the worst possible way - tiny little buttons, often keyboard entry, scroll bars on the side a fraction of a finger width wide, etc.; nearly impossible even sitting in an easy chair at home on the coarse Oudie/Avier/V2 touch panel. At least XCSoar made the buttons large enough for an adult finger to hit. These are like bad Windows 3.1 apps.

You should try iGlide. The interface is slicker than runny snot, honestly decades ahead of all the others. I would like them to put an iGlide Demo version on the app store for free, as I think a lot of people are not willing to risk the money to try it. A demo version than only did the simulator that was free would get a lot of people hooked, I think.