Old January 19th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Barry wrote:

How did you infer that out of what I said, or didn't say? The AIM is quite
explicit that,for a diverse departure area, you must climb at not less than
200 feet per mile, from lift off until at the 91.177 altitude.

It is a 40:1 sloping surface, not a flat plane.

And just to make sure I understand this:

The 40:1 sloping surface (152 ft/nm) is for actual obstacle penetration, and
the 200 ft/nm incorporates a small buffer of 48 ft/nm.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Barry

Yes.

And, when the slope is steeper than 40:1 then the buffer becomes greater.