Old July 20th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default quick question -

george wrote in
:

On Jul 20, 8:29 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
george wrote
innews:5320ec8d-3a86-41a6-a201-

om:

On Jul 20, 1:31 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote
:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:01:17 -0700 (PDT), george
wrote:

It was a J2.
PA18s have electrics AFAIK they have electric start.
Sheer luxury

The J-2s, J-3s, and PA-11s were all built without electrics. The
PA-18 was built in a variety of styles, with engines ranging
from 95 hp to 150 hp. The early models had no flaps and a single
wing tank. Oddly enough, the best book on Piper aircraft (by
Roger Peperell) doesn't address the subject of electrics. Peter
Bowers's book says that as first offered, the "standard" version
of the PA-18 had no electrics, while the "deluxe" had a starter,
battery, etc. Flaps were added in the PA-18-125.

The early Super Cubs were less than $3000. I am just getting
acquainted with a Legend Cub, which is essentially a PA-11 with
electrics added, two wing tanks, no flaps, a cockpit three
inches wider than the original, and doors/windows on both sides.
Fully kitted out, it goes for about $130,000.

About half that increase is simply the devaluation of the dollar
since 1945. The other Cub I fly is a 1946 J-3 that went out the
door for $2300 in August that year. We are required to carry
$60,000 hull insurance in order to rent it. Its actual resale
value is probably something in the neighborhood of $40,000.

Even though the PA 18 is seen as a cub, it's really quite a
different airplane. The Cubs through the 11 were really parasol
aircraft with an encolsure added, wheras the Supercub was a true
cabin aricraft. ..

Yup. That was my bad I just posted without looking up the details
in the log book.

Oh i wasn't correcting, just pointing out some cub trivia.

However you want to see my handsome youthful (1966) features take a
look at
http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/Pages/Flying.htm

Rallye.
Shudder!
?I flew one of those that was lucky to do 300 fpm.

The Cub yes.
It was actually quite dangerous to fill the seats
However the MS885 was a pretty good short field machine and I used to
drop in on the farmers in the family.

I meant the Rallye, actually. Might have been a bad one though. It was
one of the 100hp ones which the one you were in looks to be the same.
It went up at a good angle but at a low rate. I think even a J3 would
outclimb it. I flew a J-2 two up once and it needed a calender for rate
of climb!

Bertie