Old January 5th 04, 05:20 PM

Tony Woolner wrote:
: Anyone know about AMR@D propeller tip mods and Vgs mod for a Cherokee
: 140. Pros and cons?

I have a friend with a 140/160 with both mods. The prop tip definately
required re-pitching, and if the VSI is accurate it climbs as well as my Cherokee 180.
Not sure about cruise/top speed increases, but his plane is definately a "strong"
climber. (Need to qualify the term "strong," and recall that this is, after all, a
Cherokee).

WRT the VG's, they seem to do what they claim (except the speed). Both his
140/160 and my 180 went from barely flying at 60 mph IAS w/ full flaps to being able to
hang it on the prop at 45-50 mph when not too heavy. Significantly lowered the sink
rate on final (especially when a little slow at 80 mph or so, 2 notches flaps). Maybe
gained 100 fpm climb (from the reduced sink at slow speeds). Didn't affect cruise
measurably (no increase nor decrease). My gut reaction is that it help most at lighter
weights, but I don't fly close to gross very often to verify that.

Hope that helps.
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *