Old July 31st 03, 06:30 PM
Marty Ross

Yea, I played around with VATSIM while practicing for my IFR practical test.
Several times I found it helpful for practicing my radio work/phraseology,
vectoring/navigating, holds, and approaches. However, more often than not,
I found it frustrating and a waste of time.

It was interesting and sort of helpful -- several times I got controllers
that were on the ball and handled me in a realistic way (I asked them to
assign me a hold and for practice approach clearances), yet some were
interrupted by phone calls, their children, etc. so often that it was just
not worth the time. It's a forum for simulator pilots and controllers in
training, so you find all sorts of levels of competency. Also, the
controllers in my area don't come on at regular times, so it's really a "hit
or miss" proposition for me to find one that will give me what I want. By
the time I got myself organized for the flight, often times the
controller(s) I wanted to speak with had logged off...

It's indeed a cute idea, and it CAN work pretty good. But, "I've been there
and done that" just about describes it for me after a week or two of trying
it out...

"Tune2828" wrote in message
what's the retail on this? sorry if question's been asked already

anyone ever use vatsim?

http://www.vatsim.net/

let's you link up with other sim pilots, and some play controller. -so if

you
fly from DEN-LAX, you have real people vectoring you / sequencing finals,

etc
the whole trip. i've perused their site but never have time to learn and
download whatever i needed - but i like i think the concept's pretty cool