Old April 22nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jose

Default Sun N Fun '07 Redux

- Mini-rant #2: AOPA hired an aircraft with a moving-light sign on
the bottom to fly over the grounds, advertising Phil Boyer's "town
hall meeting" at the SNF theater. Unfortunately, the pilot would do
nice, quiet slow flight down Rwy 27, until he got all the way to the
end -- where he would jam the throttle forward and do a high-
performance turn-around to get lined back up with the show line.

Apparently in the dark he didn't know that he was turning directly
over the campground, and keeping everyone awake with his engine
antics! Even with ear-plugs (a fly-in necessity) it was hard to
sleep.

What? A complaint about =airplane= noise? From a pilot? Jay, no less?
At an airshow?

Whodathunkit?

- Sleeping on an 8-inch airbed makes camping on the field every bit as
comfortable as a motel. In fact, it was MORE comfortable than the bed
in the motel in Tallahassee.

What kind of airbed do you use? I find them to be appalling - I sink to
the ground in the middle, and all the air goes out to the sides, so I
sleep sort of folded up. Even if it's pumped up hard.

- Much of Florida is still completely undeveloped. Between
Tallahassee and Lakeland there is a lot of absolutely nothing except
trees, even along the sunny Gulf Coast.

I suspect there's a good reason for that. I think a lot of Florida is
sort of low and swampy.

- Sun N Fun isn't Oshkosh -- nothing can come close to OSH...

I was at SnF a few years ago, and had a great time. It seems you had a
smaller version. What do you get at Oshkosh that you don't get at SnF
(besides mosquitos the size of thunderstorms, and thunderstorms the size
of small states?)

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.