Old October 12th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

On Oct 11, 6:46 pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:36 pm, Phil wrote:

If you teach someone who knows little about physics that there really
is a suction force, that my explanation does not matter, that person
might be inclined to believe that the lifting ability of your vacuum
could be increased indefinitely if the right engine is added to the
vacuum, which is not true. Even with 100,000 h.p. engine in the
vacuum, there will come a point where the vacuum is no able to lift
any more than the 100 lbs that it could possible lift,
theoretically.

Perspective matters, especially when the purpose of acquiring
knowledge is to apply that knowledge in technical contexts.

-Le Chaud Lapin-- Hide quoted text -

Well, I guess you've stopped someone from trying to put a V8 on their
vacuum cleaner

Maybe. There are plenty of people everwhere who think that it should
be possible to build a super vacuum if they simply make the sucking
power of the motor great enough.

-Le Chaud Lapin-- Hide quoted text -

I think you are underestimating most other people's intelligence. And
seriously, do you really think someone might try to do that??