Old January 22nd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default A BFR question

Being a new pilot I don't know much about the BFR process.

Over Xmas I was chatting with my pilot Brother-in-law about my new status
as a pilot when he stated that he thought he could just go to the local FBO
and rent an aircraft himself. I said yes and reminded him that he'd also
need a medical and a BFR.

He's a retired Air Force F-15 pilot with an FAA commercial ticket,
multiengine and instrument rating. Impressive stuff, but the last time he
flew was in 1983. While looking over a chart he had no idea what Bravo
airspace was.

It's pretty clear that his knowledge base is obsolete and he's not ready to
fly in today's sky. My question is, could he pass through the BFR process
in a couple of hours or would the instructor make him go back and hit the
books for a few weeks.

I'd hate to think the system would let him back up in the sky in his
current state.

--
Dallas