Old January 22nd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default A BFR question

"kontiki" wrote in message ...
Dallas wrote:

It's pretty clear that his knowledge base is obsolete and he's not ready to
fly in today's sky. My question is, could he pass through the BFR process
in a couple of hours or would the instructor make him go back and hit the
books for a few weeks.

I'd hate to think the system would let him back up in the sky in his
current state.

Its clear he's a little behind the curve. It is up to the CFI who
does his BFR whether or not he is sufficiently proficient and
competent.

There are two parts to the BFR... ground and flight. The ground
portion reviews current FARs, airspace and flight planning issues.
If the CFI determines the pilot is not proficient with ground portion
does not preclude him from continuing on to the flight portion of the
review. He should not however, sign off the BFR if he feels the pilot
is deficient in the airspace knowledge you mention.

It would simply be a matter of scheduling additional time with the CFI
in training and/or review to the point where he would be comfortable
signing the man off for the BFR.

Took me two hours with a CFI, one on the ground talkin and one in the sky flyin, to get the bfr endorsement...after a 24
year and three month 'break'.

I did get a current copy of the AIM, some charts, and etc so I could distinguish the difference between Bravo and a TCA,
a control zone and Delta, etc.

That was three years ago...whatta blast flying again.