Old March 15th 15, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Lockhart[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm Update?

At 15:34 15 March 2015, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:05:01 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

"As with many other avionics systems, all FLARM devices require
continual firmware updates. However, unlike many other systems, we
supply our updates for free (an update to the similar TCAS system costs
$20.000-$50.000 per aircraft). This is made possible thanks to a common
firmware in all different FLARM devices.

Previously, updates were required every 2-4 years according to an
announced schedule. This was however problematic for many owners and
maintenance organizations, since there was only a short time span in
which the update could be made.

From the March 2015 Update, every FLARM device needs to be updated with
the latest firmware version at least once per year (rolling 365 days).
This has to be part of the Aircraft Maintenance Program (AMP). The

entry
in the AMP is to be made during installation. If you have a FLARM
installation that is not previously monitored by the AMP, an entry
should be made as soon as possible.

Firmware updates contain general improvements, collision algorithm
improvements, radio protocol improvements and added features. The
precise list of changes accompany each update."

On the other hand PowerFlarm.aero website has a link to software update
without any other information at all. No changes to agreement and no
other text.

Thats pretty much the case in the Classic FLARM section of flarm.com too.

In that section I can see a revised set of conditions, a link to the .fw
file, but nothing else. Where's the promised change log and either a
revised manual or a statement about the applicability of the V 5.00
manual?

Since from now on there is to be a rolling 12 month upgrade process, we
can only assume that with v6.00 FLARM has introduced forward
compatibility with the immediately following release and, in a years
time, we can also expect backward compatibility with the immediately
preceding release as well: I don't see how anything else can be allow a
12 month rolling release schedule to work. However, it would be nice if
they made this explicit.

EASA/ARC question: has anybody except FLARM mentioned the imminent
inclusion of FLARM upgrades in the AMP? This is the first I've heard of
it.

Since my glider passed its ARC renewal inspection last week without
anybody quizzing me about the installed FLARM's serial no or its firmware

upgrade status, I'm guessing that this is news to everybody else as well.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Your flight manual will specify the minimum required equipment. I doubt it
mentions FLARM so you can take it out & throw it away any time you like,
placard it INOP or whatever. An un-upgraded FLARM cannot ground your
glider.