Old May 28th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Experience with Flarm "Stealth" and Competition modes

Richard wrote, On 5/26/2013 1:16 PM:
On Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:24:16 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:

The argument that Europe is not using
stealth mode is apples to oranges, we are seeing better than 10
miles (16 km) constantly with PowerFLARM. This is way more than is
needed for situational awareness and safety.

I beleive it should be on the Racing Pilot opinion questionaire 2013
and go with the majority opinion and the recommendations of the
manufacturer.

And please send your Powerflarm back to me and I will exchange for
one that operates correctly. In over 250 hours of testing I have
never seen 10 Miles. The PowerFlarm on steriods you have will go in
my glider.

It was a common experience at Ephrata over the weekend, where several of
us with Cores saw other Cores 10+ SM away. Not in all directions or
attitudes, of course, but typically when both glider had the other ahead
of them within plus/minus 60 degrees or so. Most of us had the antennas
in the nose; one pilot had them in the fin, and reported excellent
reception in all directions.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl