Old May 30th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

Default Experience with Flarm "Stealth" and Competition modes

Short explanation again of how the 'Stealth' mode works:
Please also see: http://www.flarm.com/support/Flarm_Competitions.pdf

'Stealth' mode shows other aircraft (but never their climb rate, track or speed) if they fulfill one of the requirements below:
- generate an Alert
- are within 100m horizontal and 50m vertical
- are within 2000m horizontal and 300m vertical and +-45 degrees of the direction of travel of my aircraft (which means you should see them well anyway)

If none of these conditions is met, no data about that aircraft is displayed or sent over the serial port.

'Stealth' mode applies only to other aircraft which have stealth mode enabled, unless I enable my own stealth mode after which it applies to *all* other aircraft.
There are timeouts to prevent fast toggeling of 'Stealth' mode by evildoers.

Some comments:
1) Don't confuse 'Competition' and 'Stealth' mode
2) Yes, 'Stealth mode' is a horrible contraption and should not be used unless the alternative is pilots unplugging their FLARM
3) Transponders and especially ADS-B make the whole leeching discussion pretty pointless?!
4a) Unless you tie us all up and do some repeated waterboarding, we will not modify/change/extend/customize this feature. It is what it is.
4b) Can we get back to more relevant topics?