Old December 20th 18, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:22:20 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
I've flown in U.S. competitions with LK8000 software for the last 4 or 5 years. Comfortable with it's UI now and features. Changed polar from my Discus 2a to match the SN10B in my panel.

The 2018 season (Standard Class Nationals - Texas) was the first contest I flew my LK8000 Android version on a Nokia 8. Cockpit readability was equal or better (sharper) than the previous Vertica V2 which is a similar screen to the Oudie 2. Somewhere on the LK8000 Postfrontal forum I sent Vertica V2 Nokia 8 screen comparisons.

Used my Nano recorder to feed bluetooth NMEA to the LK8000... and a small 5v phone booster battery in the side pocket for power. No ship power. Two recommendations for reliability 1) Set up the Nokia 8 and LK8000 verifying bluetooth connection well before takeoff 2) Blank screen and cover the Nokia 8 to protect it from over heating in the sun.

Walt Rogers WX

While Oudie is advertised as an out of the box turn key system...it is not.
One still needs to set up; home field, arrival or required altitude, glider polar, safety margins, airspace, etc, etc, etc,…
Downloading the XCSoar or TopHat ap into an Android phone, plus waypoints, terrain maps, etc, is no brain surgery (but one still has to go through what is required for Oudie above as well). There is usually at least one person in an average club who can guide one through these steps I would think, if not ask your teenage child.
The Android system is far more advanced than the old Windows the Oudie runs on, both the XCSoar and TopHat is far more intuitive and has better simulator too (it actually works), not to mention PRICE!

Walt, what Bluetooth are you using?