Old August 14th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Wing Launch - Can it pull your wings off?

Derek C wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:30 am, John wrote:

No, never! A cable brake is routine and *never* hazardous in *any*
circumstances. If it is, then something in your operation is seriously
flawed.

Depends on the size and nature of the airfield. Our site at Lasham in
the UK is large and flat, and gives you a wide range of options after
a winch launch failure. I have flown at a small sloping German site
where they launched without a weak link because having a weak link
failure was considered a serious hazard.

Hmmmmm... I've experienced firsthand a fair number of rope brakes on the
winch (but interestingly not a single weak link break), and hence
consider a rope break pretty much SOP when winching. So I'm not sure I'd
want to fly at that German site. I have no problem with an airfield
where a cable brake puts me in a difficult situation which requires
special procedures but a cable brake shall never be hazardous.