Old August 7th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Manual

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:33:25 AM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
"Yes. The question came up in a checkride with an FAA inspector. AFAIK, all JAR-22 certificated gliders require the AFM (POH) to be on board. An Approved Flight Manual (AFM) is actually part of the glider's certification documentation and the glider must be operated in strict compliance with it. (FAR 91.309) A simple solution is to vacuum seal the original manual in clear plastic after making a copy - then secure it safely in the glider. The copy can be used for reference and need not be on-board."

The FAA term AFM stands for Airplane Flight Manual to distinguish it from the FAA term Rotorcraft Flight Manual. Ref 14 CFR 1.2 Definitions. - "AFM means airplane flight manual".

If you are operating an airplane you may need to carry an AFM but, under FAA definitions, a glider is not an airplane. All the limitations of an FAA experimental certificate are defined in the operating limitations and no reference is typically made to any JAR requirement. If the operating limitation neither require, nor refer to, a flight manual then none is required.

14 CFR 91.309 relates to towing and seems to be unrelated to this topic.

The requirements for an AFM are defined in 14 CFR 23.1581 General - but part 23 does not define requirement or regulations for gliders.

I confirmed the non-applicability of an AFM to my experimental glider with AOPA legal services just last week as part of my preparation for a FSDO inspection of my glider.

No harm in carrying one though, I do carry mine. However, carrying it is very different from asseting that there is an FAA requirement to either carry it or comply with it.

Andy