Old March 1st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:50:32 -0500, Curtis Scholl
wrote:

Cla

Bearing strength is for the Connecting Points of all those items you
mentioned. And the engineer stopped the test before complete failure
from what I read.

Excessive deflection is not a failure mode unless the engineer states it
is out of spec. And again, what was the sandbag testing weight at which
the testing was stopped? And again, excessive deflection where? In the
skins? In the Spars? in the struts?

The wing was tested to 2 G's at 600 lb gross. At that point the spars
were ready to fail if I recall correctly.

You stated:
**
"No- Gary built a wing according to plans and sandbag tested it under
an engineer's supervision. The engineer stopped the loading before
failure because of excessive deflection IIRC."
**

And I have a set of plans, and I recall seeing the sleeves being called
out in the manual. And I don't see where aluminum skins are in the
plans. Again, deflection where?

The wing was tested with NO ALUMINUM SKINS. There are doublers at the
arttach points in the plans, but the spars are not doubled between the
root and the struts, which is where the spar is not up to the job from
what I gathered. I'll be talking to Gary tomorrow

"And sleaves in the spars by your own admission. Which are NOT in the
plans."

See wing plan D-WING3. It clearly shows what to do on the wing as for
the sleeve inserts to reinforce the connecting points, wing to cabane,
and strut to wing.

Look, this aircraft flies, in it's designed weight class, it has worked
for many years. The designer flies it. There are many copies flying, and
the death rate is not "significant" considering what happened in the
accident reports.

As you said, Clare, you are not an engineer. And you don't have current
validated DATA to back you up. I have stated instances of you being
incorrect in your assumptions. And in one of the instances, given you
the reference for corrections of your statements.

We are done. No response is necessary or wanted. This will be an agree
to disagree situation and no further contact is warranted.

Curtis Scholl