Old August 13th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:01:00 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote in
:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

It would seem that the rec.aviation.piloting newsgroup, like many
other newsgroups, is being targeted for a "sporge" flood. In this
first flood, the articles were injected into Usenet from 13:30 to
11:21 (local), about ten hours. It is unclear to me at this time why
this is occurring, but it may be more than a malicious prank. ...

While I have not yet found a method of filtering out the sporge
articles, I have found some promising leads:

Each article is crossposted to the sci.crypt newsgroup.

The 'Path:' header field always contains:
news.isoc.lu!news.grnet.gr

The 'Subject:' header field always begins with a lower-case letter

Perhaps filters can be successfully written to exploit these
consistencies.

My fear is that newsgroup subscribers who are unable to filter out the
sporge articles may become so frustrated as to discontinue to
participate in newsgroup discussion in the future.