Old May 15th 05, 07:10 AM
Don Byrer

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:10:13 -0700, Antoņio
wrote:

I was at a CFI safety meeting today and the subject of VOR service
volumes came up. The AIM describes the Standard High Service Volume as
providing positive course guidance at varying distances depending on
your altitude--40nm at 1000ft., 100nm at 14,500ft, 130nm at 45,000ft, etc.

Hi...
To try to make a realllllly long explanation short....(er)

Those are the 'design' or 'advertised' service volumes. This is the
required minimum coverage they are flight checked for.

Will the FAA guarantee coverage outside of that? Nope.

Will you pick up a useable signal outside of that?
Possibly....maybe...depending on altitude/distance/terrain
But they don't guarantee xx nm at xxxx feet.

--Don Byrer

Don Byrer
Instrument Pilot Commercial/CFI Student
Electronics Technician, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE
Amateur Radio KJ5KB

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."