Old June 18th 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade

Default USB Serial Converters - Reliable one for SN10 and Volkslogger

On Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:09:32 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
FYI, recently I upgraded my notebook to Windows 7 64bit. I've found a good reliable USB serial convertor that works "out of the box" on Windows 7 even the 64 bit version.

USB to Serial Adapter - Mini PRO - $27.50

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=244

Another one almost identical but with a cable

I just bought a good one as well on radio shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2292430

Works with windows 7 32 and 64 bit OS

USB to Serial Adapter - Professional - $34.95

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=325

This convertor has a very well written device driver that is maintained and kept up to date. My older Belkin convertor stopped working when I changed to Windows 7 64bit. Also, it wouldn't work on my Volkslogger, so I had to use a PCMIA serial card with WinXP (the PCMIA card doesn't work anymore in Windows 7 64bit).

These USB serial convertors from usconverters.com work just fine on everything I need (Volkslogger and SN10B software/waypoints loading). With the Volklogger, download used to be extremely slow. Now, I've found a driver setting on the Mini PRO which speeds up the download! It was a "Latency Timer" (msec) changed from 16 to 1.

So... if your're having problems with USB to RS232 convertors, give these a try.

Walt Rogers, WX