Old February 10th 04, 06:42 AM
Mark James Boyd

BAToulson wrote:

Another good reason to always wear chutes when instructing. What would you say
at an inquest or to your insurance company when a pupil died because he could
not bale out as he did not have a 'chute? I have little doubt you and or cyour
club could be successfully sued for negligence.

I'd never wear a chute and not give one to a student. If it isn't
a dual flight, then I'd refer them to the PIC (solo) for the flight
(oops, he's dead), and then I'd show them the statistics for
lightning strikes and prove that wearing a chute increased the
chance of being hit by lightening, and this was a much
greater risk than what we estimated was the risk of
being the first fatal accident in the 2-33 in over 30 years,
much less one that might require a chute...

Then I'd take them for a flight with chutes, and at a nice high
altitude ask them if they'd rather jump out, or land with me...

Duty of care in a big issue over here.

As an instructor of nearly 30 years I would not fly with a pupil in any glider
without a chute if it were possible to fit one in. Additionally, all of our
club aircraft are fitted with impact absorbing cushions for the same reason.

Cushions are useful for EVERY landing...well, at least the ones
I make :P An excellent, low cost, high benefit idea...

And having flown with many instructors, there are certainly a few
I'd rather wear chutes with... :PPPPP

Barney
UK