Old April 28th 04, 11:36 PM
phil hunt

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:45:03 -0700, Robb McLeod wrote:

The LAV series is almost entirely steel, so it does work fairly well
against small-calibre AP ammunition. I know the Canadian LAV III is
proofed for the front quarter against 14.5 mm AP. The Stryker may not
be due to the efforts to stuff them into C-130s. Since almost all 23
mm ammunition is HEI it should deflect that as well.

The real problem with the US Army's LAV is that they messed up on the
applique armour procurement, so they don't have their vehicles
equipped with it.

Is the current slated armour intended as a replacemernt for this, or
will both be used when the applique armour is ready? Also, is it
likely that Stryker is planned to use active armour in future?

I imagine they would have good protection against
older model RPGs if they were in theatre with their ceramic applique
packages.

That's my guess too. It seems that modern vehicles are much better
protected against shaped-charge weapons than against KE projectiles.
So it seems that KE is the way to go for AT weapons.

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)