Old February 4th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Default 2K Paint Option on S-H Ventus?

I'm buying a new Ventus from the factory, and considering the pro's
and con's of their "Special 2K-painting" option, which is about 3000
Euro. Would like to hear any real-world experience that other pilots
have.

From discussions with the dealer and some on-line research, the 2K

paint (a polyurethane paint, if I understand correctly) has the
advantage of a tougher, lower-maintenance finish, but the downside of
being more difficult to repair scratches or damage. While a pilot can
learn to do their own minor gel-coat repairs, 2k paint requires
special equipment and is highly toxic if not used with protective
gear.

I'm based in Houston - high humidity. Although I plan to race, I fly
mostly for fun and am more interested in simplicity and practicality
than in getting or keeping that last increment of performance.

I searched ras, and only found discussions several years back on 2k
and polyurethane. Would like to hear from anyone with experience with
the Schempp-Hirth 2K paint option in specific, or current thinking in
general about factory 2K paint vs gel-coat.

- Frank Allen, Houston