Old February 4th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default 2K Paint Option on S-H Ventus?

I have a D2cT with 2K paint. A friend has a V2CxT
with it and another is getting a D2cT in 2K in March
having seen the first two gliders. A super finish
at a fair price IMHO.

You can fill little chips with cheap gelcoat filler
(e.g Plastic Padding in the UK) and hardly notice them.
I dropped a wing and got some bigger scratches but
a repair shop painted them ( and replaced my temporary
gel patches) with the original MIPA 2K for reasonable
cost at the annual check and they are invisible now.
The advantages of not having gel deteriorate far outweigh
the minor inconvenience of sorting chips.

John Galloway

At 17:06 04 February 2007, W.J. \bill\ Dean \u.K.\.
wrote:
Look at the DG web-site http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.com/index-e.html
, go to

'Innovations' then to 'Polyurethane Paint - The Better
Alternative' ,
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.com/pur-lack-e.html .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove 'ic' to reply.

'V1' wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm buying a new Ventus from the factory, and considering
the pro's
and con's of their 'Special 2K-painting' option, which
is about 3000
Euro. Would like to hear any real-world experience
that other pilots
have.

From discussions with the dealer and some on-line research,
the 2K

paint (a polyurethane paint, if I understand correctly)
has the
advantage of a tougher, lower-maintenance finish,
but the downside of
being more difficult to repair scratches or damage.
While a pilot can
learn to do their own minor gel-coat repairs, 2k paint
requires
special equipment and is highly toxic if not used
with protective
gear.

I'm based in Houston - high humidity. Although I plan
to race, I fly
mostly for fun and am more interested in simplicity
and practicality
than in getting or keeping that last increment of
performance.

I searched ras, and only found discussions several
years back on 2k
and polyurethane. Would like to hear from anyone with
experience with
the Schempp-Hirth 2K paint option in specific, or
current thinking in
general about factory 2K paint vs gel-coat.

- Frank Allen, Houston