Old September 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Hangars - Horton Stack Doors?

Frank,

I previously had the Horton stack doors on a 60 X 60 at Napa, CA. The were a
pain in the hind end in windy conditions, especially when the wind was
parallel to the door opening. If you let the doors get away from you it
could get ugly.

I also have them on a second hangar at Minden. Here they are shielded from
the wind more, and so the auto slam closed or open feature isn't such a
problem. However, they do not seal well and the hangar is constantly
inundated with dirt and dust. If the doors have a south exposure, in the
summer the temperature swings inside are brutal. The doors, if left
uninsulated, pass light nicely but also radiate heat to make the hangar an
oven.

My large hangar is an Erect-A-Tube, so the insulated bi-fold door is from
them. Much better. However, some of the hangar door specialty companies
build a nicer door than Erect-A-Tube does. In any case, I much prefer the
bi-fold over the stack-door. The biggest advantage of the stack door is
cost. Perhaps that's the only advantage (g).

bumper
Minden
"V1" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm considering Horton Stack doors (the type that fan-fold to the
side) for a hangar. One question is the expected lifespan of the
fiberglass panels.

If anyone has direct knowledge of this brand in actual use over an
extended time, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

- Frank