Old June 3rd 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

I normally fly with aft CG. I have never had a kitting experience flying on a CG hook, but I have had occasion where holding full forward stick for a few seconds was necessary to hold attitude. That has happened only when the towplane was pulling me slower than I prefer.

This leads me to think that a preventive measure that perhaps every tow pilot should consider is to be vigilent in keeping the speed up on tow and especially in the first 500 feet (the death zone). At higher speed, the glider has more elevator authority to keep his nose down and the tug has more elevator authority to keep his nose up. Lifting forces on the elevator go as the square of airspeed, so a little extra airspeed can buy a lot of elevator authority.

Besides exacerbating the kiting scenario, slow towing at low altitude presents an entirely different and especially severe hazard to ballasted gliders.. That scenario has nearly killed me. Pulling the release is not an option when your glider is slow at 100 feet with the nose pointed up at 30 degrees in a full stall.

Keep the airspeed up tuggies.