Old June 10th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Default Looking for info on world record jet aircraft

On Jun 9, 2:08*am, Paul Saccani wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2012 10:33:57 -0700 (PDT), Ted Parvo

wrote:
I'm looking for *verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

The link on the Guinness site has not worked for months. I have
contacted them, and through email exchanges, their representative has
indicated they have no knowledge of this aircraft

The person claiming the record, a guy by the name of Juan Jimenez, has
informed me that the reason I cannot find the record is because I
"have the IQ of a pin", and do not know "which database to search".

I am quite sure I have searched the "correct database", and reasonably
sure the people at Guinness know their own database and how to search
it, but the final response to detailed questions about this BD5 is
that they have no knowledge of it.

Can anyone in this forum shed light on this discrepancy?

If you check the following URL,

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...smallest-aircr...

it lists the following; Juan Jimenez, Smallest Jet Aircraft, United
States, 1 Jan 2004.

"The smallest jet aircraft is the home-built Bede BD-5J Microjet owned
by Juan Jimenez of San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA, which weighs 162 kg
(358 lb), is 3.7 m (12 ft) long, has a 5.7 m (17 ft) wingspan, and can
fly at 483 km/h (300 mph).

There are actually several hundred BD-5 aircraft flying, produced and
sold in kit form by the Bede aircraft company. However, this is the
smallest (by weight) jet engined example."

Which is, of course, quite wrong. as the Cri-Cri MC15J is both smaller
and lighter, its MTOW being only 8 kg heavier than the empty weight of
the supposed "record" holder.

Nonetheless, it would seem true that he has a Guinness World Record,
though of course, it isn't the real record.
--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani

I recall the long discussion of Jaun and that airplane. IIRC he never
flew it. Could be wrong.

I wonder what ever happened to the nut.

Harry K