Old November 8th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Advice for new CFIGs

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
My number one bit of advice is don’t instruct for free. My club expects the instructors to work for free. It’s the main reason I don’t do my CFI-G. I feel that the student should pay for it. $40 per hour is a pretty reasonable rate. Leave the club out of it and have the student pay the instructors directly.

- I received free instruction over many years in several clubs. Now I pay it forward as a part-time unpaid CFI-G. It's a good way to keep the sport going. My advice is: instruct for free, but limit your instruction activity so as to allow yourself some flying on your own. Instructors that "never" get to fly their own glider end up "burnt out".