Old January 4th 21, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

gregv wrote on 1/4/2021 3:02 AM:
Le lundi 4 janvier 2021 à 11:30:06 UTC+1, krasw a écrit :
These old open class gliders were designed for max LD at quite low speed, nothing else.
Their handling in the air is not good and on the ground it is just awful. You will fly
less because of this. I usually fly modern glider from std. class to 18/20m class. I flew
one summer mostly Std. Cirrus and did enjoy xc flying exactly same as with any other type.
You fly exactly same tactic as with modern glider, only with lower airspeed duirng glider
and taking few more climbs. With a glider like Std. Libelle, thermalling is actually fun.
Saying that thermalling is fun with N2 buys you a ticket to hospital with padded walls.
There is a very good reason N2 is cheap to buy.

I own a N2C since years, and I also fly other gliders (mainly discus 2, duodiscus, ls-4), I
fly in Alpine area. I disagree when you say thermalling is not fun with The N2C, actually it
is the most fun thing to do! You can litteraly outclimb every other ship, handling is
superb, light and precise controls, yes you have to manage your feets and you loose 2
seconds when doing -45/+45 but is it an issue? When flying cross country I am faster than a
duodiscus in every aspect. With 200L water, I feel unstoppable.

The original poster is looking at a N2, not an N2C. Is there a significant difference in the
thermalling and the general handling of the two gliders?