Old March 28th 05, 12:59 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article .com,
wrote:

Will be in NZ in November for a couple of weeks, and would like to fly
there for a few days. Questions 1) Besides my logbook and US-issued
pilot certificate, what else do I need there to be able to rent a
sailplane;

I think that is enough. See:

http://www.gliding.co.nz/overseas.htm

Philip mentioned medical requirements. In NZ this is simply getting
your GP to sign a form saying that they "know of no reason that you
shouldn't fly a glider" which isn't very onerous. The form helps the GP
by giving a short list of possible reasons (e.g. epilipsy, severe
diabetes...) But as far as I know if you have the current right to fly
where you come from then that's all that is needed.

2) WHERE ELSE besides Omarama can one find decent flying
conditions. This would enable me to prepare a scenic itinerary as well
as allow flying.

Pretty much everywhere :-) The bigger problem is finding someone with a
glider and the means to launch it. Don't forget that flying at
"Omarama" means "about half of the South Island".

There is a list of clubs at: http://www.gliding.co.nz/Clubs/Clubs.htm

I fly at Wellington. Other large and active sites I've visited are
Omarama, Christchurch and Matamata. I've flown a few times at Whangarei
which has a small but very active club and wonderful scenery and
conditions.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-