Old December 23rd 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SSA Copyright

On Dec 22, 1:56*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 12/22/2010 11:48 AM, Andy wrote:

I had a look at the on-line SSA Sailplane Directory and have to say it
looks like a very nice addition to our information sources. *I noticed
that there were no pictures of the ASW-28 and was thinking of
submitting some.

I then found the conditions for posting pictures:

"It is a condition of submission to and acceptance by The Soaring
Society of America, Inc. (SSA) that all material submitted for
consideration and/or publication (including photographs and text),
whether submitted as a result of a request by the SSA or not, is
submitted on the basis that the SSA has the right, without payment

snip

material. If the submitted material is clearly identified with the
name of its creator suitable attribution of its source will be given.
"

This is the same condition as for pictures submitted to the magazine
or to the calendar. *It is the reason I have not submitted any of my
pictures to either, and also the reason I will not submit any of mine
to the Sailplane Directory.

If I submit a photo to SSA I think I should be allowed to specify what
it will be used for and that any other use should require my approval.
Under no circumstances should I be required to give up the copyright
to my work.

Does this copyright policy bother anyone else? If not, why?

It doesn't bother me at all. I have had pictures in the calendar, and I
have had pictures in the magazine, and I have never regretted it. I look
forward to having more published both ways. In fact, I have had a
picture in the Sailplane Directory since the 1997 *print edition, and
it's now in the online Directory. I'm pleased about that.

For the purposes of the Sailplane Directory, exceptional pictures that I
might want to use elsewhere are not required; I have lots of pictures of
that would be useful to the directory; and I can always make more.
Surely, not every picture you have is worth retaining the exclusive
copyright for it, so I encourage you to find some you can share to
further the sport.

I think the online Directory is already a good resource, but of course,
I already have some ideas for making it better. I might let the crew
responsible rest over Christmas before I pester them...

email me)

Bob's off work over Christmas into early January, pester him.

Frank Whiteley