Old October 31st 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

Default Igc file help. Computer science

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:59:48 AM UTC+13, wrote:
Hey guys im taking a computer science class on data structures and algorithms. I wanna do something glider related for my final project. I was thinking about trying to see if there is a pattern between average vario for a task and Xc speed. However, I have no clue how how to obtain such data from an igc file. Also,any suggestion On maybe doing something different for the project are welcome.

Thanks!

The IGC file records the GPS time, GPS altitude and GPS position. It can also record barometric altitude, engine noise levels and other manufacturer-specific information. As previously stated, a lot of the format info is already out there and the file itself is not hard to decipher. The decision is in what to do with all that info.
SeeYou already processes IGC data to generate flight statistics, so a project in that area probably won't generate anything new. John Wharington used IGC data from multiple gliders at the 2017 worlds in Benalla to generate a lot of useful statistics around how close individual gliders got to each other during contest tasks (answer: scarily close in some instances, with particular repeat offenders!). You may want to repeat that analysis for other contests (with suitable credit to John).
You could also look at the data to show the usefulness (or not) of pulling up in thermals vs. a block speed-to-fly, however this (and a lot of other analysis) really needs other (accelerometer, airspeed, vario) data to be useful.
Good luck with the project, whatever you choose to do.

DH
TX