Old November 1st 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Igc file help. Computer science

Martin,

I salute you for taking on a project like this simply for the love of
the game.

Best,
Dan

On 11/1/2018 5:00 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 00:36:57 -0700, David Hirst wrote:

Don't go writing his project for him now :-)

I have no intention of doing that, being a firm believer in the principle
that, if you want to understand something, you have to design and
implement a working solution yourself.

The OP's post was just a trigger to remind me that I'd always intended to
open source my package.

In point of fact the real guts of writing this package in the first place
was a personal requirement to create Yet Another Format I call Open Field
that holds all the information available in the various waypoint file
formats (DAT, CUP and EW) as well as extra stuff needed to describe
useful features of outlanding fields, i.e multiple runway sizes and
surface types, frequencies and call signs in a readable form thats easy
to maintain with a text editor. My package can read and write Open Field
data in all of these formats and is easily extendable to deal with other
formats as well.

While I was writing the Open Source classes I also wrote classes to read
IGC logs because that seemed like a good idea at the time. Currently I'm
thinking of using the IGC classes in a project to convert IGC logs into
KML files. Yes, I know that can already be done by the GPLIGC application
but the latter makes no attempt to display the task data as well: that is
a major omission IMO.

All that said, if I was the OP I'd be hacking out awk scripts or writing
Perl to do his analyses rather than writing Java.

--
Dan, 5J