Old April 27th 04, 02:26 PM
Greg Copeland

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:24:57 +0200, Thomas Borchert wrote:

Greg,

Again: Using the common method of spin recovery from a one turn
spin on, say, a Bonanza, what's the altitude loss? Less than 920 feet?
Much less? I wouldn't think so.

Ya, but I thought we were talking about a Cirrus and not a Bonanza. And,
I think the point remains. If you get into a spin in a Cirrus, the chute
seems to be clearly recommended. To me, that implies that Cirrus has
zero faith that someone in a fully developed spin is going to recover
unless they deploy their chute. Please, feel free to correct.

Another way of looking at this, if you enter a spin slightly higher than
1000 and you start trying a recovery, you may recover in another plane.
If a cirrus, unless you deploy your CAPS WITHOUT TRYING TO RECOVER from
your spin, they seem to imply you won't be around to talk about it. To
me, that's more important than some corner case. It also fails to mention
if "demonstrated...deployment" actually means it has slowed the craft to
safe landing velocities or if that's just the altitude required to get the
chute deployed and dragging air. If it's JUST starting to drag some air,
I think the whole 900ft corner case then becomes a strawman. After all, I
don't think a chute popping 10 feet from the ground is anything to talk
about, if you're wanting to live.

Also, it didn't mention what the minimum demonstrated altitude loss is for
a CAPS deployment from a full spin (3-turn, right??)? Anyone know? Is it
even possible?

Thanks.