Old October 7th 03, 05:07 AM
Ray Andraka

FWIW, if the airport is using ILS24, then you can't get ILS6. If you look at
the charts, you'll note that the frequencies for both approaches are the same
but the identifier is different to match the antenna in use. I doubt Islip is
going to switch the localizers for you just because you don't have a chart
handy, unless you declare an emergency that is.

Tim J wrote:

Any simulator that allows you to practice your procedures is good - I
wouldn't expect any of the pc based sims to be anything like a plane or a
device that you can count toward flight sim time.

I just got FS2004 and borrowed a yoke - it seems to be ok - the bells and
whistles are more than I need for practicing and ingraining the procedures I
have been taught. However, either there are problems with the software or I
haven't figured out how to use it the way I want.

For example, I try to file from an airport to another using VOR/airways, but
when I start flying, the program always tries to give me direct. I can use
the VORs, but it is unclear to me how to see the desired route as airways.

I also have to keep telling the controllers that I want to fly the entire
procedures - they always try to give me vectors to an approach.

Also, and this is definitely a defect in the software, but I caught the
problem and it reinforced good habits of what I was taught...

I was given ILS 24 to KISP. I did not have that approach in front of me so
I asked for ILS 6 (or vice versa). I was cleared for the full approach that
I asked for. however, when I tuned in the ILS (both are the same freq) I
got the identifier for the one that I refused and the color sector/needle
was all wrong. Seems to me a problem with the software, but maybe not -
maybe they wanted it that way.

wrote in message
I am just starting my Instrument rating,
and I believe that a good PC based flight simulator would
help shorten the learning curve.

What simulators would this group reccomend?

I hava older versions of X-plane (V6) and MSFS2002.
I have a high performance PC so I should be able to run whatever is
availible.
I've tried the C172 in both sims.

MSFS2002 the VSI is way too fast and the plane is way too stable.

XPlane, the plane feels about right, the only complaint is the turn
gyro is way too twitchy.

Anyone have comments on later version of either of these sims?

Paul

(Yes I know that a PC based simulator time can not be logged)

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759