Old November 29th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sönke Gutzlaff

Default New winch height record

"Dan G" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Nov 29, 8:13 pm, "Sönke Gutzlaff" wrote:
Around 100km/h and the stick full pulled back (I know that's not the
optimal
position)

Judging by your results that's optimal ;-). However at 54 knots and
full back stick you must have been fairly close to the stall. With the
K21's hook being pretty much on the CG point (unlike, say, a K13's
quite forwards hook) I'd worry about what happens on a cable break. If
you were really switched on I expect it would be fine but with a
moment's hesitation you could end up very nose-high without much
speed...

I've learned that 100km/h is fast enough, our instructors even say 90km/h
ist the perfect speed for the 21 to gain maximun high.
I had lot of cable breaks this year and no problems with the speed. You've
only to react fast enough. And the 21 is a very friendly flying plane (with
our other planes, especially the ASW19 I prefer higher speeds on winch
launch) and you normaly are not pulling the stick full back before you reach
the safety high.