Old October 23rd 04, 03:08 PM
Larry Dighera

On 22 Oct 2004 22:55:07 -0500, Andrew Sarangan
wrote in
::

Many pilots I know seem to think that this new TSA rule is just the
beginning of things to come. Look at the trend.

I think they are right; there are going to be many more restrictive
measures promulgated by the bureaucracy to restrict the rights of all
citizens if the current trend is any indication.

Mayor Daley succeeded after a long battle,

The city of Chicago is a special case. Consider the fact, that O'Hare
Airport was named after the son of "Easy Eddie" O'Hare, mobster Al
Capone's attorney (who happened to be "Butch" O'Hare, the Navy's first
fighter ace). It's a notoriously lawless place.

then the proposal by Mr. Weiner,

Mr. Weiner is an uninformed opportunist; he withdrew his absurd
measure, and hopefully the scandal concerning his campaign
contributions will seal his fate.

and now this.

The Transportation Security Administration has more money than they
know what to do with, and they feel a need to produce something for
what we, the "running scared" people, are paying them. As long as we
give them the mandate to make us more secure, we're going to see more
of this restrictive rulemaking. This fearful attitude of the people
of this nation is undermining freedom for which this great nation has
stood; we've got to find the courage to go on with business as usual,
the way the Brits did during the battle of Britain, without being
bullied by our enemies into harming our way of life.

People have been trying to get rid of general aviation for quite some time, and they
are starting to have success.

Provide a few examples those successes. I'm not sure that statement
is true.

However, with the absurd congestion caused by this nation's airline
system's dogged adherence to the 'hub and spoke' route structure, and
the necessity for passengers to submit to Gestapo search procedures in
order to board an airliner, airline travel appears much less glamorous
and desirable when compared to the GA corporate jet. I wouldn't be
surprised to find the airlines putting as much pressure as possible to
regulate GA airline competition out of existence. It's always about
money in the end, isn't it?

Many TFR's have now become permament.

If the military had their way, there would be no GA flight in this
country ...

There
is some talk about banning all part-91 operations from class B airspace.

Please provide a credible citation supporting that statement. If
true, it's probably airline/military inspired.

The old timers tell me that today's kids are not interested in aviation,
because they have taken the fun out of flying.

Today there more inexpensive, fun ways to get into the air then ever
before. Consider microlite soaring, ultralights, hang gliders,
parasails, powered parachutes, trikes, ... all virtually unregulated.

However, as the NAS becomes more congested, there will be additional
GA restrictions imposed; it's just a matter of physics.

How much fun is it for a kid
to learn about complex airspaces, TFR's and military interceptions?

Ask a flight simulator gamer that question. You wouldn't believe the
lengths to which they go. Those would be aviators who find the arcana
of aviation too difficult to master can operate under part 103.

That paints a gloomy picture for aviation.

If all the fun activities of the barnstorming days of aviation were
attempted today, the sky would be less safe due to the increased
number of aircraft. Times change. The population expands.
Bureaucracy grows...

The optimist in me tells me that
things will turn around. What do you think?

I think the current trend will continue. As restrictions are
perceived necessary, they will be imposed.

Is GA on a inevitable decline,
or will it turn around and start to take an even important role in our
lives?

Fortunately, GA is bigger than the airlines, so there is hope that it
can continue, but we've got to get organized and find the funding to
make our voice heard in Washington. And we've got to begin to take
back much of the nearly 50% of airspace 'owned' by the military.

If NASA's SATS is eventually implemented, GA will be as common for the
average citizen as Hertz Rent A Car is today. This 21st century is
going to be remarkably different from all those past. Hang on...