Old June 27th 04, 02:41 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:20:33 GMT, "Tuno"
wrote:

Thanks Martin!

The only down side is that most of these programs are for MSDOS and/or
Windows, which is hard lines on Mac or Linux users.

Which is precisely why my filter program is being developed in Java.

I'll drink to that! :-)

What package/class hierarchy are you using to get serial port access
from Java?

I've looked at the usual suspects (Sun's SerialPort class and the open
source RXTX package) but both look to be somewhat orphaned and/or need
major system surgery to install so I'm doubtful if they're viable. The
SimpleSerial class isn't really portable without a lot of effort. OTOH
if I could find a socket library for the Borland C/C++ compiler I just
might have a portable solution. I have mostly complete code for
Linux...

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK