Old September 13th 03, 02:15 PM

(Ken Sandyeggo) wrote:

Just a point of curiousity. Accepting payment for flight instruction
in an experimental has been illegal unless it was a gyro with the PRA
exemption. I believe the rules have changed recently, but how did
Rotorway get away with giving lessons at their factory for all those
years in experimental helicopters? Did they say it was "free" if you
bought and built a kit?

Rotorway included the price of the dual training in the price of the
scorpion kit. However, I just got an email from their flight
instructor and he said that they now charge for the dual training in
the Exec. However, he said that it was mandatory for training that
you own a rotorway. He said it didn't matter which rotorway, just as
long as you owned a rotorway. Current training is only in the latest
exec model.

So, getting back to the Fixed Wing PPL being used to fly an
experimental helicopter - Since I don't actually have a PPL of any
kind, it would be a lot cheaper to just get the fixed wing. About
half the cost around here. So the real question is, if I got the
fixed wing PPL and flew the scorpion, could I count those hours toward
my heli-PPL?

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm