Old March 10th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

Default Microphones

On Mar 10, 6:53*am, Dave Stewart
wrote:
At 07:04 10 March 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:

Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, Randy *wrote:
Hi All
A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.
Thanks
Randy

I've sometimes wondered why a highly directional mike couldn't be
mounted in the instrument panel which would be completely out of
harm's way.

Actually there is someone in Germany offering such panel-mounted
microphones for 49 EUR in the classified ads on
http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...lassifieds.cgi

Search for "Einbaumicro" or Ad no. 10339. I guess you also could use

any
other highly directional mike from your nearest electronics supplier....

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Apart from the ergonomics I would think its historical. People wore a
sword on their left so mounted a horse from the left to prevent it
fouling. They rode on the left as it was easier to fight someone on their
right side. When it came to cars people mounted from the left to stay out
of the road. The chauffer would get in from the other side hence R/H drive
cars.

Which raises the question "why is America the opposite?

I also think it used to be considered unluckey to mount from the right!

Dave

Dave's right. Every self-respecting horseman, motorcyclist,
bicyclist, elephant or camel driver ... gets on their steed from the
left. Everything else would feel awkward and might well invite bad
luck - although I'm not that superstitious. Don't jinx it, do not
follow the misdirected Schweizer example, they got it completely
wrong!
Herb