Old August 26th 04, 08:57 PM
Gary Boggs

We can get our 5000 meter gain here in Oregon without ever going above 18K,
come on up. We also have a window if you want to go higher. See this
month's Soaring magazine for my story about our wave.

And about the M&H system, I use the cannula but you have to be very careful
that you don't take any breaths through you mouth. I've heard of some guys
holding a mouthful of water to make sure they don't. Carl D. Herold did a
lot of testing with cannula use at high altitudes, he is a great recourse
for any advice about high altitude soaring.

Gary Boggs

"Hal" wrote in message
om...
How do most pilots go about the 5000 meter height gain in the Sierras?
Somehow getting in a glider on a cold/windy Minden winter day does
not sound like me. During the summer I stumbled across a wave
condition behind Mt Rose but I was not sure about how the O2 system
worked and where/whether the wave window was open so I stopped short
of 18k If I was ready this would have been a perfect opportunity.
Seems difficult to know when these conditions will exist.

Another question is if you use the M&H O2 and you are staying below
24k do you use the cannula or the face mask? I think I know the legal
answer but it seems that the cannula is actually the preferred option.

Any advice would be appreciated.