Old May 2nd 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden

Default Transponder Inspection Not Required?

In the east (i.e., where we're generally below 10,000 ft.), if a
glider is not flying in Class A, B, or C airspace, does a transponder
fall under the 24-month inspection rule? From the latest AOPA email
advisory (emphasis added):

****************
Question: I know an altimeter inspection is only required when flying
under IFR, but what about the transponder inspection? Is it required
for both VFR and IFR flights?

Answer: Unlike the altimeter inspection that is required to operate
under IFR, A TRANSPONDER INSPECTION IS DICTATED BY THE AIRSPACE
THROUGH WHICH YOU ARE. A transponder used in airspace specified by FAR
91.215 (which includes operation within Class A, within or above Class
B and C, and above 10,000 ft msl) must be inspected within the
preceding 24 calendar months for both VFR and IFR flights. For more
information, view the AOPA online subject report on Aircraft
Inspections.

I checked the cited FAR (and the others it references) and I'm still
not sure of the answer. Ignoring the safety issues of flying around
with a transponder that may not be reporting accurate info, this is
serious question in an area I know relatively little about but which a
lot of us are considering these days.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA