Old September 12th 05, 03:47 AM
P. Corbett

I take it from your question that your PIK-20 is not climbing well.

When I first began flying this type, I was disappointed with the climb until
I discovered top rudder. If your yaw string is out on the forward canopy and
while circling is in line with the longitudinal axis, you are in a slight
skid. There is some controversy about the magnitude of the skid and this
subject is covered very well by Richard Johnson in the October 2004 issue of
Soaring Magazine.

The climb performance of my PIK-20B improves a lot when I apply top rudder.
When the climb is optimum, the yaw string is displaced about 5-10 degrees
toward the outside of the turn. This seems to be a trait of most gliders
that I have flown but my PIK-20 seemed especially sensitive in this regard.

So before you begin sanding or polishing, you might try this first...if you
haven't already.

Paul
ZZ

"culverflyer" wrote in message
Sanding rather than waxing a PIK 20 Question
Has anyone have info on this I was told that when this persons PIK did not
clime well he would sand the wings with 400 grit .