Old February 14th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:34:48 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote in : :

To add insult to murder he was given partial blame for
not seeing and avoiding a military fighter traveling at well over 250 knots
that came up on him from behind.

(Minor correction: the MAC was left-left impact.)

What I find reprehensible is the USAF's attempt to use the
navigational system errors in the lead F-16 as an excuse for it's
pilot's blatant disregard for the lives he decided to endanger by
entering congested Class B and C terminal airspace without benefit of
the required ATC clearance at speeds of ~500 knots clearly in
violation of FAA regulations. The ATP rated Cessna 172 pilot was in a
hard right bank at the time of impact indicating that he was
attempting to avoid the Ninja flight's wingman, but at that speed
apparently there wasn't time enough to see-and-avoid.

It was reported that the USAF found a verbal reprimand appropriate
punishment for flight lead Parker.

In another, earlier civil/military MAC, the NTSB found the glider
pilot at fault despite his having the right of way as provided by
federal regulations.

It would seem our government is a bit biased when it comes to
evaluating itself.