Old June 14th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Roger Conroy" wrote in message
"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in message
"Tiger" wrote in message
Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Tiger" wrote in message

Raymond O'Hara wrote:

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message
and they waited post war to build post war.

Why do I get the feeling When ever folk say the earth is round, you
will post it's flat???? What waiting? Dick Bong was killed testing
P-80's in Aug of 1945. Work on the A bomb never stopped. The race for
the Ebe river was a race gain zones of control postwar. Nobody was
waiting.....

we are currently engaged in two wars. we have a runaway deficit.
and you're advocating spending billions on a weapons system that will
not do anything for us.
it is a great plane and if it was the cold war sure. but times have
changed and we must too.
a big main force war isn't going to happen anytime in the next 50
years.
"Peace in our time" - the phrase seems vaguely familiar?

Well we can all go back to bed now, Mr. O'Hara has personally guaranteed
"World Peace".

we need to settle what we are involved in and get the budget under
control. then you can think about new toys for use against an imaginary
enemy.

If you ever stop thinking up "new toys for use against an imaginary
enemy" that is exactly the momemt the enemy ceaces to be imaginary. Cite
the Maginot Line as a prime example of such complacency.

again you and dan engage in strawman arguments.
you want us to turn into the UK, a bankrupt country.

I do? You really don't understand the current economy nor do you seem
to comprehend what is actually going on world wide. You don't seem to have
a grasp of potential threats.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

you just bring up fantasy scenarios.

you don't understand the economy.
we can't at the momen affor billions for a plane that does one thing and
one thing that is the least likely threat.
in 30 years most likely UMVs will rule.

Amazing, and you tell me I'm bringing up fantasy scenarios? I'm not
sure why you can tell us with a straight face how the U.S. won't be in
another major war in the next 50 years, UMVs will "rule" in 30 years,
ICBMs are a natural response to an attack against the U.S. and the like,
yet can't see threats can change in the same time frame.

As for the economy, the U.S. wastes more money on pork than it spends
on F-22. I'm not justifying the cost of F-22, but it simply isn't that
big a dent in the U.S. economy.

In any event I doubt you will ever understand what is going on now or
what is likely to occur in the future and I will never understand how
you think it's logical to not replace aging aircraft with newer ones.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired