Old April 29th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default radio interference

On Apr 28, 4:02*pm, ryanglover1969 wrote:
I have a question for all the electronically minded pilots out there.
Every time I transmit my vario goes crazy. The funny thing is that
when the colibri and or the Ipaq isn't connected it doesn't go crazy.
My set up is as follows: LX 1600vario
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dittle FSG 2T radio
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Colibri data logger
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ipaq 3600 running SeeYou mobile

What's the solution? I got some ferrite beads and put them in various
locations with no success.
should I shield the cables from the vario to the colibri and Ipaq???

Some component is putting out RF, you can find which one by turning on
your radio with no squelch then one by one turn on each component,
GPS, vario, computer, recorder, etc. Each will add to the background
noise, look for the one that makes the greatest increased noise. I
recently found the new USB (stick) adapter for the SN-10 was pumping
out RF. I fixed the problem by moving it away from the radio antenna
lead.
Hope this helps,
JJ