Old April 29th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default radio interference

On Apr 29, 6:56*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

On a related subject. *I have a customer with a new TruTrak Pictorial Turn
and Bank that is complaining of noise on the radio when the unit is turned
on. *I've sold a fair number of these units with no previous complaints..
The unit has only 12V power connections -so there are not GPS RS-232 data
signals to make noise. *Has anyone else had any electrical noise issues with
this product? *Any suggestions? *My guess is that his radio antenna or other
radio wires are poorly shielded and/or running past the TruTrak unit. *Or
the TruTrak's power leads are putting noise into the radio antenna. *The
unit has a small motor inside.

The manufacturer suggested sending it back to them for warranty repair. *But
they didn't sound like they were confident that they could fix the problem.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Paul Remde" wrote in message

Hi,

GPS data cables can be quite noisy electrically. *That is why all Goddard
cables are shielded. *I've never had a customer complain about electrical
noise with a Goddard cable or the PS-5a power converter.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"ryanglover1969" wrote in message
I have a question for all the electronically minded pilots out there.
Every time I transmit my vario goes crazy. The funny thing is that
when the colibri and or the Ipaq isn't connected it doesn't go crazy.
My set up is as follows: LX 1600vario
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dittle FSG 2T radio
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Colibri data logger
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Ipaq 3600 running SeeYou mobile

What's the solution? I got some ferrite beads and put them in various
locations with no success.
should I shield the cables from the vario to the colibri and Ipaq???

The first suspect should always be coupling through the power supply,
put a ferrite toroid or choke on the line right near the device
suspected of causing the noise, or as a test power it from a separate
battery and see if the problem is still there, if it is then it's RF
coupling not via the power supply. If it is not the powerr supply then
check cable/wiring routing, coax connectors and coax and wiring
shielding.

To be clear, since the TruTrak uses a solid state gyro, it does not
contain a motor to spin a gyro. The "motor" may mean the mechanism to
move the display background. That all may be irrelevant and the issue
if there is one from the unit may be simply RF noise from digital
electronics.

Darryl