Old April 9th 04, 02:45 PM
Bill Denton

You will note that I said "associated with", not "located at".

My use of the term "center" may not have been 100% correct, but it was the
best term I could think of, and it's irrelevant anyway. The point is not
what "approach" is associated with, it's the fact that "approach" is not
associated with a specific airport.

Consider the following pairs of approach frequencies and Chicago airport
groups:

118.4 - KMDW, KIGQ, KCGX (now closed)

119.0 - KORD

133.5 - KDPA, KARR, KDKB

120.55 - KPWK, KUGN, 3CK, C81

119.35 - KLOT, KJOT, 1C5

Which makes my point that a given "approach" frequently serves more than one
airport.

And keep in mind that when you call any of those guys up, it's "Chicago
Approach...", not "O'Hare Approach" or "Midway Approach". More evidence that
"approach" is not associated with a specific airport.

Which means my advice to the original poster is still valid...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

But approach is not associated with any particular airport. Even
though a given approach may serve only one airport, it's not
associated with that airport, it's associated with a center.

How so? Approach tends to be located at the airport it was established to
serve, not at a center.

This is why you may see approach and
departure on the same frequency.

I don't see the connection.