Old March 28th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

How is it easier to see an arm held vertically with hand palm up than it is two arms outstretched horizontally, or the take up slack signal? Seems like you would be looking just for a palm of a hand... Just asking honestly, from a glider pilot who has never looked at the wingrunner from a towplane.

From a towplane, looking through mirrors, it is a LOT easier to see a raised arm (especially holding a white hat) than level arms. The only vertical things back there are the glider tails, while there are a lot of horizontal lines - and the horizon is usually about level with the wing runners arms. Try it and see for your self.

I've never been anywhere where it is ok for the wingrunner to signal takeoff without the rudder being waggled. I'm not sure I see the point, if the pilot can't see the rudder waggle the wingrunner sure should be able to. I wouldn't like it if the wingrunner had that option and if I didn't know they did, might release pretty quick.

Agree that while the SSF procedure calls for the wing runner to respond to the rudder waggle, frequently the "thumbs up I'm ready to go" from the glider pilot get's misinterpreted as "I'm ready to take off" - when obviously the pilot's left hand is NOT on the release or flaps, but in the air! As a secondary confirmation that the glider wants to takeoff I'm OK with the arm circle, but honestly as a tow pilot I only look for that if the wings are level for a long time and the glider rudder isn't waggling.

I takeoff from a very busy runway and we don't have the luxury of getting everything ready before hooking up the rope. We have a payout tow rope winch so it makes a lot of sense to get hooked up asap.

If you are hooking up the tow rope BEFORE the glider is ready to takeoff you are really taking a big risk - for both the glider and towplane! Both our Pawnees have payout winches and we expect the glider pilot to be ready before he hooks up. No runway is that busy! If you need to payout the reel before the glider is ready then hold the towrope behind the glider while it's paying out with enough slack to stop the towplane in time.

Kirk
66