Old December 10th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 10:45:21 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath.Â*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the altimeter setting, feet
for cloud layers, knots for winds, and, phhhht... Celsius for the
temperature.

Why screw up a perfectly good recording with that metric crap?Â* My pink
little body is comfortable at 72 deg F.Â* I just don't comprehend
22.22222 deg C, 295.3722 deg Kelvin, or 531.67 deg Rankin.Â* Real men
don't need 10, 10, 10 to make their calculations easy.Â* We still can,
but we just don't want to.Â* Can't we all just live together in peace?Â*
Kum bi ya... :-D

On 12/8/2018 7:10 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.Â* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.

--
Dan, 5J

Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7

--
Dan, 5J

Dan, background and personal history matter. If you had spent the first 35 years of your life around a highly rational (metric) system of measures - which the French came up with, hail to them - you'd feel different about the helter-skelter BS system we are using. Btw, if you work in most any industry these days in the US, you're on metric. Of course, the sciences have been forever.
Has nothing to do with peaceful co-existence, all with sanity and rationality.
Herb, J7